Thanksgiving Day and Today

Published November 23, 2012 by jessicalynndunning

I wrote a big long blog post about Thanksgiving Day and the crazy night that followed for Briana and I, and Word Press ate it. For some reason the post didn’t automatically save as a draft like it usually does. I have spent the last ten minutes trying to find it, and it is just…gone. This is a bummer, because I thought it was a particularly good post, and I don’t think I’ll be able to get it exactly right again.

The basic gist of the post was that Briana woke up at 6AM on Thanksgiving Day and refused to go back to sleep. So I was awake with her and trying to get myself ready for the day and then get her ready, all while daddy slept, because he was sick and he had to work that night for “Black Friday” even though it wasn’t Friday yet. (Don’t get me started on retailers opening on Thanksgiving just so they can make more money, or on the people who actually shop on Thanksgiving Day…) He was going to show up later, just in time for dinner, so that he could get some more sleep.

I had never taken Briana anywhere without my husband, so I was freaking out a little bit about getting her out the door and to my Dad’s house without making any dumb mistakes. We did make it there in one piece, however, and I survived not being able to see her in the van. (Either David or myself had been riding in back with her any time we went anywhere, so I hated not being able to see her face and make sure she was okay while I was driving. I think I’m going to invest in one of those mirrors that hangs on the seat so that you can see your baby in the rear-view mirror.)

Briana slept through most of her first Thanksgiving, being passed around to different members of the family like a football. I spent most of the day chatting with my (completely awesome) Aunt Julie and Uncle Tom. They have an eight year old (my favorite cousin), and I really value their input and advice, and just enjoy hearing stories about funny things that happened with my buddy when he was a baby. Julie is hilarious, and she always tells the truth with no sugarcoating when it comes to parenting, which I find refreshing and helpful. It makes me feel not quite so bad when I have a bad day with Briana.

Briana slept for five hours straight at my dads house, then woke up just long enough for a diaper change and a meal before going back to sleep. I knew I was going to regret that later in the evening, and I was completely right. She slept peacefully right up until the moment I walked in the front door at home, and then she woke up and started screaming. Since I had a migraine and had been awake since 6AM and it was now 11PM, this was incredibly frustrating, and painful. Every time she shrieked it felt like someone was hitting me in the face with a hammer while simultaneously squeezing my head in a vice. Not a good thing.

I fed her and burped her and changed her, and she was quiet for about half an hour and then started screaming again. Since she had only eaten off of one side (though at least she emptied me on that side), I thought “Maybe she’s hungry again…” Turns out, she was. She drained my other side too! Well, then she got fussy and gassy, so that set off another round of screaming. It took forever to calm her down from that, and then it was a diaper change, and then it was her being hungry again, and then repeat the whole cycle.

I tried to stay calm, but it’s hard when you have a migraine. The most I could manage was quiet crying instead of hysterical sobbing, and talking quietly to her (really alternating between singing and begging her to be quiet) instead of screaming right along with her. When David called me at 2AM on his second lunch (at my request), I was in the middle of feeding her yet again, and I had a complete breakdown on the phone with him. I had been awake for 20 hours and I was exhausted, I still had a migraine, and Briana just wouldn’t settle down!

David told me that he was going to leave at 3:30. “That’s when I’m scheduled to leave, and if they give me grief over it, I’ll tell them that I have a wife at home who has been awake with a fussy baby for over 20 hours and they can just deal.” I told him not to get fired, but that I would greatly appreciate him getting home as soon as possible. He made a few suggestions to help calm her down, and Briana could hear his voice coming from the phone. I swear to goodness it seemed like she was reaching for the phone, and she started wiggling around. I put it on speaker and he started talking to her (basically pretending to scold her for giving me such a hard time) and she kept looking at the phone and then looking around all confused. I think she recognized his voice and was wondering where daddy was. Maybe I’m just dreaming, and she was just listening to noise. But I can pretend that she was listening to her daddy.

She eventually lost interest when she didn’t spot daddy anywhere, so I told David I would let him get back to work. He promised he would be home as soon as possible, and I hung up. I remember burping her and laying her down on the bed next to me, and I vaguely remember putting the pacifier in her mouth in hopes that she would be quiet long enough for me to get ten minutes of sleep.

David says he got home at about 3:45, and that he found me completely passed out with Briana lying in bed next to me, halfway asleep. He picked her up and held her for a few minutes, and then put her in her bassinet. She didn’t wake up again until nearly seven, thank goodness.

Today I played the “wake up long enough to feed and change the baby and then go back to bed” game. Especially since David was sleeping so that he could work tonight, I felt like I deserved the rest. All three of us woke up at about 3:00 when she was hungry again. David and I stayed awake after she was fed and changed though…Miss Briana did not.

I am hoping that tonight isn’t so difficult. David isn’t leaving for work until 10:00, so I plan on getting a nap in before he goes, just in case…No more 20 hour marathons for me, thank you very much!

Sorry I didn’t post anything yesterday, but you know, it was a holiday and Briana didn’t give me much time to spend on the computer. 🙂 Thanks for continuing to follow along with my (Mis)Adventures.

Tired New Mommy

This outfit also had brown striped pants that had a picture of a turkey on the butt. So she was Mommy’s Little Turkey Butt yesterday. 😀



One comment on “Thanksgiving Day and Today

  • Love the outfit! Sorry you had such a hard day. If you feel she is too gassy, give her Mylicon Gas Drops. They are a MIRACLE!!!! I had probably 4 bottles of it, in various places.

    Hoping for a better day for you both!

  • Leave a Reply

    Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

    You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

    Google+ photo

    You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

    Twitter picture

    You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

    Facebook photo

    You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


    Connecting to %s

    %d bloggers like this: